Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cooper and Speas: The dialogue continues

July 5, 2006
David Speas wrote: I agree that in the past ORTA did not do all that should have been done which is why when I was not reelected to STRS I ran for positions that could make it possible to be heard and do good things for the very people who got hurt the worst in the stock market down turn. My hope was that my words would explain why the decision was made not to endorse but work hard to get healthcare help for the retirees and not jeopardize what has been worked on for so long by so many.
Good Morning Dave;
The above, for me, says it in a nutshell. The fact is, NOW actions ARE being taken. Retirees problems ARE being addressed.
As you may have noticed, I am not shy about speaking out. (LOL!)
You are the first ORTA person to ever, that I can recall, EVER took the time to even acknowledge my communication, much less, give me some feed back.
The fact that not only do you go out to speak to and LISTEN to retirees, says more to me than all the pretty newsletters and guest speakers I have come across since retiring. In fact, the mere fact that FINALLY someone at ORTA has shown some interest in listening and responding intelligently causes me to consider
re-enrolling
None of this is about me, or doing anything "my way". You (ORTA leadership) are the experts. You have the wisdom and insight to make proper decisions...and you are where you should be...taking on the battle for HC equity.
I hope if you get anything out of our current dialogue, it is that I am not interested in making ORTA do what I want, (except to listen). But, at the same time, I am not interested in hearing ORTA leadership flinch in doing what they DO feel is right because a few with THEIR own agenda want to hold leadership hostage to their own personal political views.
At some point, however, ORTA must get involved actively in the politics of it all. And maybe ORTA is involved behind scenes we/I are unaware of.
The coming election for Governor is going to have a potentially huge impact on the direction of public school teachers and retirees. None of us affiliated with any pro education/teacher organization can afford to be shy. It is not about endorsing a candidate, or a party. But it IS about standing up for ourselves.
When the leadership is willing to do that, I will certainly be willing to stand up in support.
Thanks for putting up with my long winded rant!
T Cooper
Medina
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company