Wednesday, December 13, 2006

RH Jones and Pamela Jones re: Inactive reserve time

From RH Jones, December 13, 2006
Subject: Re: Inactive reserve time
Dear Mrs. Pamela Jones:
As one Jones to another, I believe there has been Parallel Time at the STRS. The TPO award to teacher union officials allowed them to purchase evening or weekend time.
Another precedent comes to mind, for time professors already had at the University of Akron. Their evening time was added credit. This addition was meant to be buyout time and was added to the whole year. I believe that Saturdays may have been included as well.
I know that 8-months represent the year for credit on the STRS. As the "free time" is explained in the STRS Pamphlet I mentioned previously, the words: "...transfer to inactive duty is necessary to qualify for free military credit." leads me to believe that I may have been eligible. After all, the military is for 12- months and the unused leave time can ad to the
12-months. I was on inactive duty 8-yrs.
Thank you for your e-mail and your concern.
RHJones, retired STRS member
-----
From Pamela Jones, December 13, 2006
Subject: Inactive reserve time
Dear Mr. Jones,
I remember the speech to the board earlier this year. I have not read the bill you are referring to and I am not familiar with the ORC you are writing about. I do know that you cannot receive more than one year of credit per year. For example, if you are a teacher and a school board member, you can receive only one credit for that year. Therefore, a person teaching and on inactive reserve time could not earn more than one year of credit per year.
Pamela J Jones
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company